Most people who read me or know me know that I was pretty underwhelmed by most black music released this year. I do think this was a stronger year for individual songs than it was for albums, but even so I could literally only come up with 10 songs that I really love, that I played a lot, that I repped for hard this year.
Before we get to those though, here are a few runners-up. These are songs I like, that are good in their own way, but didn't quite bowl me over the way the top 10 did for one reason or another.
- Anwar Robinson, “Come Over”
- EPMD, “Don’t Get Clapped”
- Frank Ocean, “Back”
- Ginuwine, “Frozen”
- JLS, “Shy of the Cool”
- Johnny Gill, “In the Mood”
- LastO ft. Stern Savage ,“The City”
- Van Hunt ,“What Were You Hoping For”
- Teedra Moses, “To Hell Wit It’
- Nas, "Nasty"
- Mobb Deep ft. Nas, "Dog Shit"
- Jazmine Sullivan, “Fly & Sexy”
- Lalah Hathaway, “Small of My Back”
- Common ft. Nas, "Ghetto Dreams"
After the jump, get into the 10 songs that I adored this year.